- Insurance Services
- Auto, Home & Personal Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
- Business Owners Package Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Hotel & Motel Hospitality Insurance
- Professional Liability (E&O) Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Workers' Compensation Insurance
- - View All Business
- Life Insurance
- About Us
- Policy Service
- Contact Us
Article originally posted on www.erieinsurance.com(opens in new tab)Filed Under: Car Sense
Thanksgiving is one of the busiest holidays for road trips. Whether you’re driving over the river or through the woods this holiday season, here’s what to know to arrive safely (and sanely) at your destination.
Before the drive
- Get your car in gear. Now is the time to make sure you’re on schedule with oil changes, wheel alignments, and any other services your car manufacturer recommends. Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated — cooler weather can make the pressure drop more than usual.
- Master the art of not getting lost. Have all your addresses handy, and consider inputting them into your GPS before you set off. If you plan on using Internet-based map services like Google Maps, make sure to save the maps to your device — you never know when you’ll enter an area without service.
- Bring backup chargers — and lots of them. Things can quickly go south when devices run out of power. Bring extra chargers — or, even better, invest in a multiple-port car charger.
- Stock your emergency kit. To quote your mom, safety first. Even if you’re only traveling to the next town, it’s essential to have a fully stocked emergency kit just in case.
- Prepare for, “Are we there yet!?” Road trips with kids can create lasting family memories… but also test a parent’s patience. If you’re traveling with kiddos, make your trip more engaging with these 4 brilliant ways to keep kids occupied on road trips.
- Don’t forget your furry friends! Traveling with Fluffy or Rover? Then make sure you have a safe pet harness and/or pet carrier and a pet kit full of food, bottled water, toys, and any necessary medications.
Helpful websites and apps
Here are five apps travel gurus rely on:
- GasBuddy to locate the cheapest fuel wherever you are.
- Roadfood to forgo rest stop food in favor of memorable small-town eats along the way.
- Sit or Squat to learn which public restrooms are clean—and which aren’t.
- iExit to find out what kind of food, fuel, and lodging is available at upcoming exits.
- Waze to get real-time traffic updates along your route.
Emergency Road Service: A Travel Essential
Picture this: You get a flat tire… but there’s still 200 miles to go before you’re home for the holidays. Do you know who to call for help?
A flat tire, lockout, or a dead battery is a major hassle anytime, but especially during holiday travel. Fortunately, ERIE offers 24/7 Roadside Assistance that pays for reasonable auto towing and required labor costs at the site of your vehicle breakdown. (Yes… even at 2 a.m. on Black Friday.)
Emergency Road Service* is an optional add-on to your auto insurance policy that’s available with the purchase of comprehensive coverage. Better yet? It only costs about $5 per vehicle per year.
Talk to your local Erie Insurance agent to ask about adding it to your auto policy, or learn more about how Road Service works.
More Turkey Day tips
Check out these other helpful stories from the Eriesense blog:
- How to Prep Your Kitchen for Thanksgiving Dinner
- The Ultimate Guide to Hosting Thanksgiving
- 7 Safety Tips for Using Turkey Fryers
From the simple pleasures of being together to time-honored family traditions… Thanksgiving is about making memories with the people you love. Enjoy yours, and travel safe!
*Restrictions apply in North Carolina. This program does not cover accident-related towing.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Security Plus Insurance today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.